Artward BoundTHE REGION'S FIRST ART-INTEGRATED ACADEMIC COLLEGE PREPARATORY PROGRAM.
Artward Bound is a four-year college access program in the visual arts. At home on MassArt's campus, Artward Bound prepares youth in 8th - 12th grade with the artistic and academic skills needed for admission to and success at an art/design college or other post-secondary institution. Artward Bound balances artistic development with academic progress to establish confidence in education.
Who We Are
Artward Bound is designed for underserved, potential first generation students who live and attend school in Boston. Student-artists enrolled in the program are expected to participate through their senior year of high school. While enrolled in Artward Bound, student-artists have access to MassArt materials, facilities, and youth programs at no cost. A commitment to Artward Bound allows student-artists to gain confidence through constant access to dependable materials, surroundings, and people. Familiarity with peers and mentors eases key transitions into high school and college, and enhances daily advancement.
WHAT WE DO
Artistically, student-artists have opportunities to work with a variety of media, and build foundational understanding of the art world and how their art relates to it, while gaining insights into possible careers in the arts.
Academically, students-artists develop reading, writing, and math skills, receive support in completing their homework, and improve work and study skills. English language arts and math skills are applied in the development of art projects.
Socially, student-artists learn financial literacy and responsibility, develop leadership skills, and expand global, cultural, interpersonal and self-awareness. Development of an improved sense of purpose and self-direction is a focus. Projects respond to contemporary issues and increase student-artists' understanding of factors that impact life and community.
Mentorship experiences with artists, academic tutors, professionals, and MassArt students offer models for growth as an artist, student, and global citizen.
- We affirm the inherent value of the arts as a life enhancing force.
- We recognize the power of art and design in many spheres of public life.
- We believe that academic excellence is fundamental to a postsecondary success in the visual arts.
- We respect the roles and views of all members of our community.
- We cultivate a sense of professionalism towards our field, and for society as a whole.
- We apply our scholastic and artistic efforts to serve the wider community and improve the well-being of society.
- We challenge ourselves and each other to develop our talents to the highest potential.
- We believe that all students have potential to excel academically and artistically.
- We look closely at the form and content of art, both our own and others, to seek to understand it in historical, social, and global contexts.
Priorities and Commitments
- We develop arts-integrated projects that offer multiple entry points for students with a variety of learning styles and abilities.
- We create an environment that is conducive to risk-taking, through building a community of Trust.
- We nurture the development of student-artists as individuals, through opportunities to meet their academic, artistic, and college readiness goals.
- We support and encourage students in meeting and exceeding expectations and standards in arts, academics, and life that are external to Artward Bound.
- We expose students to a variety of art in a variety of contexts and believe that this is fundamental for student-artists' understanding of the art world.
Professional and Continuing Education
Tracey Boler, Director