Academic Policies

Courses for Credit
Studio foundation courses may be taken for undergraduate credit only. Other for-credit courses can be taken for graduate credit with additional/different requirements as specified by the faculty. Courses numbered 500 or above may be taken for graduate credit only.

High school seniors may consider taking 100-level courses for credit. Students under age 18 must obtain permission of the instructor.

Students who register for a credited course as an audit (i.e., for no credit) are encouraged to participate in all course activities, but will not receive formal evaluation of performance--meaning, there is no grade. A no-credit registration may be changed to a for-credit registration before the second class meeting. 

Semester grades are only available through the colleges "da Vinci system." Login to with your NetID. If you are unable to log-in please contact Tech Central at 617-879-7888 or visit the Tech Central Office on the third floor of the Tower Building. Questions? Please email

The college has a dual grading system. All foundation year courses are pass/no credit. After the first year, some departments give letter grades and other departments give pass/no credit, depending on which system best serves the department's goals.

Departments that use letter grades
   Art Education
   Art History
   Communication Design
   Environmental Design
   Liberal Arts

Departments that use pass/no credit
   Fine Arts 2D
   Fine Arts 3D
   Media and Performing Arts
   Studio Foundation

Students in pass/no credit courses may request a written explanation of their performance in the class from their instructor by obtaining a Grade Clarification form from the Continuing Education office before the class ends. The form is kept on file. Students may request a copy of this form to be sent with their transcripts.

Courses taken for no credit do not appear on the transcript.

Independent Study
Students may apply for a 3-credit independent study if the desired course is not being offered. The student must develop a proposal in consultation with a faculty advisor and include a description of the project and proposed schedule of meetings. Proposals for independent studies must be submitted to the Continuing Education office in the first two weeks of the semester. Signature of the faculty member and approval of the Dean of Professional and Continuing Education are required before instruction and work may begin.

Transfer of Credit
Students who wish to transfer credits to another institution or to the MassArt BFA program are advised to consult with their registrar or dean prior to enrollment. Students accepted to Massachusetts College of Art and Design are placed in studio courses based on the strength of their application portfolios. Courses taken through the Continuing Education program at MassArt are subject to transfer credit review and restrictions.

Official transcripts are available for $10 each; unofficial for $5. Transcripts take two to five days to process. Submit your request online. E-mails and faxes are not accepted.