Placement and Transfer Evaluation
M.Arch Program Placement and Transfer Credit Evaluation
MassArt's M.Arch Program head, in collaboration with the Office of Admissions, evaluates all applicants to the M.Arch Track I (pre-professional and professional coursework) and Track II (professional coursework) programs for placement into the appropriate track and for transfer credit or course waivers towards advanced placement.
All applicants with prior college-level coursework, or with work experience in architecture, must submit documentation to the Admissions Office within two weeks of acceptance into the program following the process below. This includes applicants entering an architecture program for the first time, and those with pre-professional degrees or coursework from schools with NAAB-accredited programs or other undergraduate level architecture programs.
Advanced placement in the studio sequence is based upon the comparable quality and level of developing design projects in previous studios. If a student entering the program at any level is placed in an advanced studio sequence, previous work must be deemed exceptional and appropriate to the work required in the equivalent studios and must meet minimum grade requirements. See the M.Arch program requirements document linked below.
In order for a course to be waived, the replacement must achieve parity in content, credit hours and NAAB criteria with the MassArt course to which it is being compared and grade minimums must be met. There is no guarantee that courses submitted will be accepted.
- Applicants submit full documentation to the Admissions Office in support of prior courses and work experience for evaluation.
- All evaluations must be complete during the admissions process and prior to matriculation into the program.
- Following the review, applicants are issued a program evaluation, which specifies the accepted coursework and the balance of degree requirements to be taken at MassArt.
- Documentation must include: official college transcript(s), course descriptions and course syllabi. Where applicable, additional portfolio material, coursework, exams or papers, and a letter from an employer (documenting experience that may equal a course in MassArt's program) shall also be submitted.
- Courses may be from schools with NAAB-accredited programs or other undergraduate level architecture programs, must meet MassArt's minimum grade requirements, and must achieve parity in content, credit hours and NAAB criteria with the MassArt course to which it is compared.
- Faculty may additionally interview or test applicants for proficiency in structures course material for sequence placement once on campus.
- International Applicants: Documents must all be officially translated into English and include official college transcript evaluations.
- M.Arch Track I Applicants: Transfer, waiver, experience, or portfolio credit (with a reduction in credit hours) may be applied to pre-professional level course requirements in the Track I program. Portfolios are reviewed for placement in the architectural design courses.
- M.Arch Track II Applicants must provide documentation for the following Track I first year requirements earned in pre-professional degrees from schools with NAAB-accredited programs or other undergraduate level architecture programs for their MassArt student file:
- Structures and Building Systems Courses (Structures I, II, III and IV)
- History of Architecture courses (History of Architecture and Urban Planning)
- Construction/fabrication experience (Methods and Materials)
- Sustainable Architecture courses
- Transfer or portfolio credit, or course waiver may be requested for some Track II requirements.
- Graduate Academic Policies (pdf) including transfer, portfolio, and experience credit or course waivers.
- M.Arch Program Requirements
- M.Arch Course Descriptions
- National Architectural Accreditation Board (NAAB)